Zak's Adventures

Sunday, March 29, 2009

Annual events

Holy catfish. Surely it isn't nearly a year since my last post. Barely possible.

Anyway, I'm still here. Just want to let you know that. I've gone through a few big yellow balls since May 2008, but otherwise, not a lot to report.

That doesn't mean that I haven't been having a good time; you know what we dogs are like! We just go from one meal to a walk, to a tummy rub, to a chase of the ball to a meal .... etc! Away for a long weekend with the 2 other canine friends and their HF in the country and later down to Inverloch with 7 people and 8 dogs (I admit I was a bit tired by the end of that weekend - those pugs had me fascinated - and slept all the way back in the car),

Mind you, the last 2 days have been out of the bag weather wise. Nice & cool in the morning (great for ball chasing; I don't even have to resort to that filthy water in the lake behind us very often) but warmer in the afternoons (just great for a snooze after a snack). It means my HF is happy to sit out on the deck ... and that means I can keep sending the ball back to her for her to kick for me to chase and bring back to her for her to kick for me to chase ... I think you get the idea.

Today she left me for the afternoon. I was hopeful of going with her - another friend indicated she should take me with her - but it didn't happen. However, I know she was happy - she and 3 friends went up to Yarra Track Winery in the Yarra Valley for lunch. They have two elderly dogs there (I would have been very polite to them!) but they apparently do a very nice platter to go with a glass or bottle of wine. And a wonderful view back across the valley. HF commented that things look a lot better there now after some rain after the fires, but the winery people had some photos of just how close it all came for them. They have 80 acres (or was that hectares) and 79 were burnt out. The house and part of the garden, the cellar and a shed were all that was saved. A plastic water tank near the saved shed was partly melted. It must have been horrific. I don't like thunderstorms and I'm sure I wouldn't have liked the fire.

Apparently the vines were damaged but are coming away again - but of course the crop from this year has gone, there won't be much until next year, and even then it will have to be in oak for a year so at least 3-4 years before they get any more income. They lost some livestock too apparently. Anyway, HF thought it would be nice to go and support them- but I think they had a lovely afternoon anyway. Wonderful to have friends.

I know it has been a long time but I'd better go. I'll try to be back a bit sooner than last time!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home